Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sweet Tooth #6


I feel like The Unwritten is the Vertigo book getting more press fellatio lately, but I kind of despise it. I mean I'm probably supposed to adore it because I was an English major in college & I like books and all, but there it is. Sweet Tooth is righteous, though. Lemire's scripts are bare bones but engaging, Gus is adorable, and Jepperd is a leathery badass. Also he may be kind of a bastard.

This one begins the new "In Captivity" arc. So after Jepperd's apparent betrayal, Gus finds himself in a militia pen with a cluster of mangy mutants & a not so bright future ahead of him. Interesting to see the disparate levels of cognizance among the animal kids. Jepperd's back story takes the forefront here and it's pretty wrenching. Creepy final page. I mean it's terribly sad. But creepy.

Oh and Lemire's art is fucking outstanding. I'm torn between commenting on Villarubia's equally delightful coloring or just leaving off with 'fucking outstanding.' Here we go. Villarubia's coloring is fucking outstanding. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment