Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #20

I would have no complaints if this title took the place of the regular Marvel Universe Avengers books. Maybe I'll get my wish in May when The Heroic Age brings back lighter & friendlier fare. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the dwindling Marvel Adventures line when that kicks in - I mean, MA is basically what HA promises to be.

Anyways, Paul Tobin does good with the script. He and his predecessor, Jeff Parker, know how to work the funnies into dialogue without forcing the issue. Comics aimed at the younger crowd - and a great deal of all-ages comics, for that matter - push the kind of bland comedy that makes me blanch like the awkward pause before the laugh track kicks in on half-assed sitcoms. I do miss the Hulk's delightfully round wit, but Thor gives me the giggles, too. I like the line-up - Black Widow & Nova are nice additions to the team. Excellent colors & strong page layouts here. Also, nothing beats Cap wearing his shield like a schoolbag.

No comments:

Post a Comment