Friday, February 26, 2010

Choker #1

Very glad I picked this one up, last minute grab before I checked out. I was initially attracted by Ben Templesmith's name. I like his sketchy, jilted pencils and murky, dark, moody finishes. He doesn't disappoint here. Nice touch with the "How It's Done" art tour at the end.

But the real surprise is McCool's writing. You know, the fact that it's good. I don't mean that to sound uppity - I love comics, superhero & otherwise, but even some of my favorite writers tend to have a tin ear. McCool has a natural rhythmic and alliterative flow that makes for immersive reading & perfectly complements Templesmith's art (compare the writing here with this month's Blackest Night #7 - I spend so much time trying to make the stilted dialogue sound right in my head, I'm totally taken out of the book).

The story itself is familiar. Johnny Jackson seems like your typical (former) bull cop, now scraping by as a sleazy PI in a shitbox city. But he's just so fucking charming: "No, thank you, Ms. Gaynor. I'd rather fuck a faulty toaster." Righteous. McCool adds a nice twist to the premise, what with all the mutant citizens and genetically enhanced "Man Plus" monster cops. And the vampires. Weee! I'm totally along for the ride. Shotgun!

No comments:

Post a Comment