Saturday, February 6, 2010

Daredevil #500












I'm sorry I missed this one when it first came out, might be my favorite single issue of '09. I haven't kept up with Daredevil over the last year, but this one is easy to break into. Also it carries the delightful "Previously in Daredevil" recaps, which are pretty comprehensive. Brubaker closes shop with a tight & taught script leaving DD holding the Hand, Kingpin with his dick in the wind, and Owl in line for a handicapped parking permit. The art from Lark, Gaudiano & Co. is right on - they have this way of limning moments of frenzy with touches of serenity - I love how when DD tosses his billy club, there's only the faintest indication, if any, of flight until it knocks someone upside the head.

And the main story isn't even the best part! Diggle gets a few pages of promo for his upcoming run - I like the writing, not so much Tan's pencils. Nice setup though. Nocenti & Aja's bit is fucking great. I thought for a second it wasn't going to have any real dialogue, just sound effects and ass kicks, and I was totally fine with that - Aja is ridiculously good, pitch-perfect for Nocenti's story (so I'm glad there was dialogue after all!), nice classic feel with Hollingsworth's colors.

Next up is a pin-up gallery - really like Geof Darrow's "Hi Frank," but Rafael Grampa's is the bee's knees for me. I don't think I'm familiar with his stuff - reminds me a lot of Paul Pope.

But the best part! DD #191.

Jesus fuck, Frank Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment