Monday, February 21, 2011

I Die at Midnight

This one from Kyle Baker is mostly pretty cute. I was only just recently turned on to Baker’s work when I saw his art on Deadpool MAX, and then I found this slender OGN squeezed into the stacks the other day.

Dialing in to the more rash & unreasonable hysterics of Y2K, Baker has Larry down some pills on New Year’s Eve to off himself after his girl Muriel ends their relationship. Only then Muriel changes her mind. So Larry literally will die at midnight.

Unless!

And then it’s a comedic chain of events as Larry desperately searches for an antidote. It reminds me of the little animated shorts they used to show before feature films – the last one I remember I think was the Roger Rabbit Tummy Trouble before Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Baker’s got a delightful palette & his colors here are typically purdy. I dig the OOOGGLARRGHHH! panel. The character work is a little more digital-animationy than the recent stuff I’ve seen from him. I actually really like the words outside the panels, doesn’t clutter the page & makes the story flow nicely.

So yeah, this is cool. But on to the feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment