Sunday, February 27, 2011

Amazing Spider-Man #655

Dan Slott – writer
Marcos Martin – arter
Muntsa Vicente – colorer
Joe Caramagna – letterer
Ellie Pyle – assistant editor
Stephen Wacker – senior editor
Marvel Comics – publisher


I went into the shop this week intending to drop Amazing Spider-Man from my pull list for like the umpteenth time, but I’m a sucker for white covers, so cha-ching.

And if Slott keeps his scripting up to this standard, I’ll keep forking over the cash. I feel like we’ve endured years of creative teams struggling to regain the glory and glee of bygone ASM, to capture the tragedy & euphoria that made Spidey such a thrill for so long. All the gimmicks and branding, the forced dialogue and quips and alliterative editorial intrusions, they’ve been pretty painful.

But this one is simultaneously classic & fresh. I don’t feel browbeaten by formulaic Spidey schtick. Slott manages to give Marla’s death real emotional resonance by placing it the context of past failings in Peter-Man’s life. I guess that does sound a wee formulaic, but it’s restrained and basic and it works. I was a little worried when Petey asserts at the end of the issue, …Whenever I’m around, wherever I am…No one dies!, 'cause it’s, you know, a ludicrous statement, but then Slott offers a nice KBLAM on the next page, so pfff to me.

And the art is still the best part! I love Marcos Martin’s spindly lines and minimalist backgrounds, and his panel arrangements are often fantastic – JJJ in bed, JJJ over the coffin, the Spidey spiral. But Muntsa Vicente’s colors are the real delight here. They’re very clean and uncomplicated and sometimes stark, and that makes for great contrast and truly striking images.

So yeah, very solid mainstream superheroics.

No comments:

Post a Comment