Sunday, January 24, 2010

Starman #81


Sienkiewicz's finishes are righteous. Thick, gnarled, scratchy inks over layouts by Dagnino. Reminds me why I buy Green Arrow/Black Canary every month. And as nasty as his action scenes are, I actually favor the closeups - it sounds counterintuitive to say that Sienkiewicz's line work is simultaneously chaotic and yet refined & subtle, but check out his faces. Also his action scenes are nasty. And Robinson writes good!

You don't need to know anything about Starman to appreciate this book (I don't and I do). I gather the Starman moniker has passed through the Knight family with a few hiccups. Father Ted is dead. Son Jack moved away. Other son David is dead. David is the one who comes back a Black Lantern here. He ravages the Starman Museum in Opal City and tears out a heart or ten. Meanwhile, the apparently formerly villainous and currently immortal Shade is carousing with Hope O'Dare when the sky turns black. Shade takes a bone break to battle David, and actually turns out to be a pretty cool character - seems like a cross between the Phantom Stranger's powers & wardrobe and Deadman's winning personality. And he shouts "Begone, husk!" Awesome.

Robinson's script is accessible & brisk, and I particularly like his dialogue (those two cops are so cute! I mean until someone rips out their hearts). Makes me want to go back and read me some Starman.

So I think I'm liking these Blackest Night one-issue revivals better than anything in the main event arcs. And I like the main event arcs. I also think I like Robinson's writing here better than anything in the Superman titles. And I like the Superman titles. Wee.

No comments:

Post a Comment