Sunday, January 31, 2010

Captain America: Reborn #6


"Oh man...That is a really big Red Skull..." Awesome. Almost as awesome as giantized Red Skull's battle cry: "You'll all die beneath my feet!" Let me get out of the way the fact that I don't care for Hitch's art. It's often chaotic and sometimes okay and always inconsistent. What's with the thick white bars as panel borders? But Paul Mounts rocks the colors.

And back to the writing we go. Brubaker has the kind of command over Captain America that Geoff Johns (most of the time) has over Green Lantern. But Brubaker is way more fun. I mean, this shit is balls out ridiculous. Not any more ridiculous than any other action superhero saga. Brubaker sets his apart with tone. There's nothing self-righteous about his work on Cap. Johns can be too dramatic, and he tends to beat a once-great concept into repetitive ruin. Brubaker's enthusiasm is infectious, though, and it feels like he has as much fun writing his words as I have reading them.

So I don't care about the publishing fuck-up on this issue, didn't affect my reading. Steve dominates Red Skull on the psychological battlefield & then shit gets physical on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. And the "It's him...It's Captain America!" splash? To hell with cynicism. It moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment