Saturday, January 23, 2010

Captain America #602


I've drifted away from and back to this title for a few years - I've always dropped it thinking the Lukin/Red Skull/Winter Soldier saga was getting slightly stale, and I've always returned wondering what the fuck I was thinking. So I was away for awhile again, then picked up & liked the "Who Will Wield the Shield" issue, then picked up & loved #602. William Burnside, the Cap from the 50's when Steve was in suspended animation, is disillusioned, loopy, and leading the Watchdogs, an anti-government militia in Boise, Idaho. While Sharon Carter and Steve are hiding out in Virginia, Bucky-as-Cap follows Nick Fury's orders and arrives with Falcon to infiltrate the militia and stop Burnside before the situation gets explosive.

I just got bored typing that two sentence summary, but that's what stands out about Brubaker's writing throughout his run - even when I feel like the plot is moving slowly toward nowhere, there's real tension and careful pacing. Ross, Guice, and White handle the art, and I actually prefer it to what Epting & Co. produced back in the beginning of the run - the work here is more dynamic and colorful, Cap looks strikingly iconic, and there's a nice contrast between the shadowy espionage scenes, the ordinary barroom folk, and the ass-kicking. So it's back on the pull list of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment