Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Totally Disagree!

Just read this Sonia Harris post over at the CSBG blog and I object!

I can totally understand someone who doesn't like Deadpool MAX simply on account of its heinously excessive adult content, but that's not Harris' bone:

Please don’t misunderstand me; I’m not averse to reading comic books about sadism, rape or feces, (enjoyed both Hellblazer and Neonomicon recently, both of which were vaguely rapey and scatological at times.) Naturally I don’t seek out these revolting subject-matters (what do you think I am?) but I can enjoy a book about nearly anything. Unfortunately something about Deadpool MAX‘s really abysmal mismatching of talent made the stories seem desperate and sad, instead of amusing and outrageous (which is what I think they were going for.)

Instead, Harris takes issue specifically with the 'mismatching' of Lapham and Baker:

It makes no sense to me is to take a man who draws in an early Disney style and ask him to create art which works with these depressing stories. It is just a criminal waste of talent. This does not work. These are simplistic, heavy-handed, spiteful stories, combined with pointlessly cute drawings. It’s really disappointing to see two great comic book creators used so inappropriately and it makes no sense to me.

Commenters smarter than me said more in less space, but I feel like one of the things that makes Deadpool MAX so delightfully interesting and entertaining is precisely that mismatching of talent.  There's really nothing comedically revolutionary about the book; if anything, it follows a pretty basic, tried and true formula.  Put opposites together, funny shit ensues.  Tall and short, sad and happy, holy and profane, sane and insane, Itchy and Scratchy.  Lapham and Baker.  Funny shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment