Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fantastic Four #587

So the dude at my LCS informs me that I was one of only two customers who came in for the early dose of this month's death issue.  I mean, this was at like 5 o'clock, more people probably came in after, whatever.  I've enjoyed Hickman's run so far, although my enthusiasm has waned lately as the event hype builds, and I feel like the narrative has been a bit too fractured.  Still worth the trip, I figured.

Eh.

Black bag packaging is way over the top.  It's really not even cute as an aw-shucks-I-miss-the-90s.  And to tell you the truth, a stack of black bagged comics alone on an otherwise naked new releases shelf is kind of sad looking.

The cover is okay.  Epting's art is nice, although the Sue/Namor storyline is kind of flat and forgettable, and Johnny's prune face is ridiculous.

Hickman's script is the weakest of his run. There are a couple of noteworthy moments.  Leech is cute.  Franklin gets to rock out.  But they're buried by the largely saccharine, hackneyed contrivances of the plot.  Johnny and Ben touch palm to rock.  Namor overcome by the magnificence of Sue.  Someone has to stay behind, then the last second switch. And, well, we don't see anyone actually die.

This creative crew is capable of something more original and substantive, proven by the string of very solid issues preceding this one. A death issue doesn't seem at all necessary.  Did Hickman push for it?  Did it come down from editors above?  Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.  Odd direction for Marvel's First Family.  I follow with great misgivings.

No comments:

Post a Comment