Thursday, January 20, 2011

Deadpool MAX #1

The most righteous series debut I've read in recent memory. Also the best single issue I've come across in awhile. And it's a Deadpool comic for fuck's sake, who'd've thunk it. I say that only because I'm immediately wary of characters who get the Wolverine treatment and appear in 80 titles a month, although I haven't actually read any Deadpool comics since his popularity blew up, I just assumed they were mostly pappy crap.

But Deadpool MAX #1 is really fucking good.

David Lapham's script is funny and deranged and certainly benefits from the MAX banner - I can't imagine the book being nearly this good if it were totally mainstream, and it makes me wonder how other popular characters might profit from the 'anything goes' treatment. Kyle Baker's art is revelatory. His Hammerhead-headbutts-Bruno-into-oblivion panel is shocking, and he brings a fluidity to chaos that is really appealing.

So yeah, Marvel's top title.

No comments:

Post a Comment