Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wulf #1

Steve Niles - writer
Nat Jones - peciller & inker
Mai - colorer
Richard Emms - letterer & designer
Ardden Entertainment/Atlas Comics - publisher

1975 Wulf #1
2011 Wulf #1
2011 Wulf Page 7














So I’m sort of a sucker for all things barbarian, Conan of course being my first barbarian love.  I don’t necessarily mind if they’re derivative knockoffs as long as they look pretty and read nice.  Wulf looks pretty.  And it reads nice.  Score!

I don’t know anything about the original Atlas Wulf, so I can’t make any comparisons.  The plot here is straightforward and sparse and engaging.  There’s no need to overwrite this – Wulf scours apocalyptic planet for evil, evil splashes onto present day earth, Wulf gives chase.  Niles’ script is grim but swift, and Jones’ grisly art is a solid partner.  I like Mai’s coloring. That page 7 iron maiden torture mask is cool.

So yeah, score one for barbarianism.

No comments:

Post a Comment