Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spider-Man: Fever

Brendan McCarthy – story & art
Steve Cook & Brendan McCarthy – colors & digital FX
Steve Cook – letters
Tom Brennan – assistant editor
Stephen Wacker – editor
Publisher: Marvel Comics (Marvel Knights) 2010

I’m confused! 

There’s some enthusiastic hullabaloo about Fever, right?  Lots of people like it a lot? What the fuck did I miss?  I want to read it again to find out, but I don’t want to read it again ‘cause it’s kinda pappy crap.

McCarthy’s art is absolutely sporadically dazzling.  The coloring is trippy.  He draws nice spider webs.  Part Two is the prettiest – it sports the most vibrant colors, the most technical line work, and the most stunning layouts.  I feel like Parts One and Three are too laden with black ink, and coupled with the black panel borders, the compositions are generally muddled.  Maybe that’s an intentional sense of claustrophobia?  I dunno.

The script is schlocky, isn’t it?  Seems like a generic Sorcerer Supreme gobbledygook trip through a random abyss.  Nothing subtextually interesting going on, which is no big thing, but nothing actually interesting going on, either. 

Fuck it, I’m not reading it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment