Saturday, May 15, 2010

Free Comic Book Day: Owly and Friends

Dude I think Owly is too tough for me. I mean he/she is fucking adorable so I want to love him/her, but I swear I had to read this short twice before I could figure out exactly what happened. Which is pathetic, because it's a wordless comic meant for kids, but there it is. To be fair, it did make perfect sense the second time around, but that first reading was ugly. For a comic that relies entirely on pictures to convey the story, Runton's thick and chunky inks and dense panels are a little much for my meager mind. Still fucking adorable though.








Owly's friends are more my speed. Kochalka's Johnny Boo is just delightful, kind of a cross between Calvin and Hobbes and Tiny Titans. In this one, Johnny introduces Squiggle to yawn power, his new technique for producing the most boring of boring adventures, only Squiggle gets in way over his head. It's cute and fluffy and ridiculous, but it's got a little bite to it: "Oh, Squiggle! You're so funny when you say stupid stuff!" Words hurt, Johnny.

Ann and Christian Slade's Korgi short is my favorite, though. It's another wordless comic, but the thin & delicate line work is just staggeringly good, really emotive. Sprout the korgi passes out after a pie binge, only to be haunted by hungry muffins, angry waves, and other unnatural forces of nature. Sprout wakes up safe & spots an unguarded plate of cookies. You think the little fucker learned his lesson? Cutest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment